logo

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Winter Knitting Roundup


I know, it's April, and the cold, snowy winter isn't even that far behind us. I hate to bring up such painful memories so soon, but bare with me. These knitting projects are too cute not to share. Plus, I want to reminisce about the two weeks that I had pink hair before it sadly faded out.


I basically chose an extremely cold day to throw on a bunch of my winter knitting projects at once and asked my husband to photograph me wearing them. It took all of five minutes but the poor guy's fingers looked halfway frostbitten. 

First up, the Jul Hat. Love this hat! It ended up being my most worn hat during the late winter once it was knit. Blue Sky Alpacas Suri Merino is a dream to knit with. I want to make more Jul hats just so I can use this yarn again. Plus the slouch is perfect.







Next I made the Lodgepole Cowl. I've had this variegated Malabrigo in my stash since I first started knitting and couldn't decide what to use it for. It begged to be part of a fair isle project, but I didn't know which one. This cowl shows off the shades of purple and pink in this yarn so well.



Layers upon layers! I look like the Michelin Man!



Let's bring in the big guy - the Wool and the Gang Tartan Lula Hoop! This is a giant, squishy infinity scarf/cowl made of bulky yarn and big ol' size 19 needles. I was given the kit for Christmas and got to work just in time to wear it to NYC in January. It was cold and windy and I was so thankful for finishing this in time.







For Christmas, I also received Jane Richmond's book Island and a skein of lovely Madelinetosh Vintage in cove (thanks, Jon!), which was the exact yarn and colorway used in her Renfrew hat pattern. Knitting this hat was fun - you knit it inside out! - and I love how it turned out. But... I wish I had done more repeats before decreasing. It's at an awkward length between being a beanie and having a nice slouch. Part of it could be the yarn, which has more structure to it and doesn't slouch as well. I may go back with the leftover yarn and add more length to it at some point. Isn't it pretty though?




And finally, a simple seed stitch cowl that I gave to my MIL for Christmas. I used Madelinetosh ASAP yarn in the alizarin colorway. I also made my mom one in celadon, but I don't have pictures of it. Whoops!




To review:


















No comments:

Post a Comment