logo

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Not your grandmother's sewing circle

I don't know about you, but my grandmother is pretty hip.   Still, even she doesn't regularly knit or sew, and in fact, I was the one who taught her how to knit.  

Such is the way of the handmade movement these days.  Gone are the days of crocheted granny sweaters, and in are the fashionable garments being made and worn by women (and men) of all ages.  Just take a look at the archives for Me Made May for proof.  In short, sewing is cool now.  To some of us, anyway.

I've only been blogging about my crafting endeavors for a short while now, but it's clear to see that I spend a fair amount of time at Finch Sewing Studio in Leesburg.  I can't help it though.  Nicole has created such an inviting space which is easy to feel at home in.  You can easily spot the regulars in her studio - usually the ones who've kicked off their shoes as they sip and sew in the back of the studio.

Apparently my enthusiasm (and so be quite honest, subtle obsessiveness) over sewing and knitting must have made an impression on Nicole, because I was asked to speak with a writer from Leesburg Today about an article they were writing on the shop.  It's really the smallest things in life that make me a happy girl - something as simple as answering a few questions about my hobby had me bebopping around the house singing something about being in the paper.  I snapped a few photos of the article, which you can read in its entirety here.  Thanks for passing my name along!












No comments:

Post a Comment