logo

Monday, July 28, 2014

DIY Knit Maxi

It seems like every time I am in Finch, someone else is either making or wearing a knit maxi skirt.  It's about time I finally decided to whip up my own.  And whip up, I did.  This was so quick to make, I feel like I need to go crazy before summer is out and make a handful more.


This project was self-drafted, meaning it didn't come from a pattern and instead used my own measurements.  If you're local to NoVA,  you should consider taking Nicole's class and she'll guide you through making your very own maxi skirt.  Her version features a wonderful folded yoga-style waistband which comfortably stretches to fit your belly, no matter how many ice cream cones you've eaten lately (guilty).


I used two and a half yards of this striped knit that had been hanging around the shop for awhile, and since I hadn't seen anything made from it yet, I felt bad for it. Far from being just fabric sympathy, I'd actually thought this fabric had a very beachy quality to it. (And evidently people had been buying it since I finished off the bolt.)







Simple to cut and simple to sew.  That's my kind of summer project.

Pattern: None; self drafted at Finch Sewing Studio.
Size: Made to size.
Alterations: None; custom made.
Photo credit: My husband.  ("Okay, now crouch down with me and come closer.  Frame me from here to here..." - the troubles he has when his wife is both the subject and a professional photographer.)

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I wear them year round.. just change up the shoes and tops!

    ReplyDelete